Thursday, January 2, 2014

Mini course adjustments

At the time little bitty alterations in what I actually did opposed to what I originally intended seemed minor and more educated was all. But, in retrospect, I see that very small alterations in direction make for very large differences in destination.

For example, I wrote a letter to myself at age 14 to be opened at age 18. I intended to go to BYU, and could have, I was accepted and well qualified. It seemed like nothing too important, besides, I was only 17 anyway when I started college, maybe I ought to stay closed to home.

Fate would have it we moved to Mississippi the day I graduated, and I got a full scholarship to a community college. Sensible, affordable, just a little adjustment better suited, huh? I even visited BYU on a winter vacation and moved there after graduation to kinda fufill my inner desire to be there. But, I hated it, so regardless of my course correction, I moved to Seattle.

Moving to WA seemed right at the time, too. And as fate would have it. I ended up back in Mississippi and found a Southern husband (which was a main reason I moved away) who I had actually crossed paths with unwittingly in Utah. I still felt like I,needed to go there for some reason, but he reminded me how much I disliked Utah.

Well, long story short, here I am. way off track, but unable to shake the pull of the place, afterall Brigham Young said,"This is the place."

My point being my life is much more than one aspect (the right place). My best friend, and seminary pal used to always quote to me, "The single most important thing in any Latter-day Saint Youth's life is being in the right place with the right person at the right time." (To keep my eyes off the many ideal guys at school) I almost have too many anecdotes from personal experience to share in how to apply that.

Looking back, I can see how things unfolded do differently than what was expected. Those changes are accounted for by minor changes.

1 comment:

  1. Reminds me of college when I used to show,my advisor my intended course load, but it was just to get his signature and passcode so I could register for the classes that interested me most at the time. Hence my destination of graduating after 5 years was never realized. But, I assumed that I knew best.

    ReplyDelete