Friday, November 21, 2014

Story that crushed my spirit

I was 15 living in Georgia and my Grandparents were both visiting, probably on their trek to Florida or from there to Michigan. Anyway, my Grandma Babcock told a crazy story, that I loved, about how she had fooled Grandpa into marrying her by making him believe that she had a box of treasure buried somewhere. Grandpa clarified that he actually just loved her.

This was so sweet!

Naively, misunderstanding love as I was prone to at that age. I asked Grandma DeMott if she fell madly in love with Grandpa cause he was so handsome. She said, "No. I was much too resonable. I had many suitors but also I had expensive taste and he was a promising chemist and I realistically knew that he would be able to provide the life I needed." What awesome advice I might have received, but instead I only heard the unexpected "No." I thought marraige was based on love so it crushed me to hear her say that she had not been madly in love. Actually, now I think she may have been. They seemed so in love, and were heroes to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment